Holy Name Society
Devotion to the Holy Name was fixed specifically to the Name of Jesus. Pope Gregory X (1274-1276) and the Council of Lyons in 1274 initiated a call of the Universal Church to this special devotion. Through the works of the Blessed John of Vercelli, the fifth Master General of the Order of St. Dominic, the Dominicans began preaching on the virtues of the Holy Name and built special altars where the lay faithful could venerate the Holy Name of Jesus.
St. Bernadine of Siena (1380-1444) made the object of devotion the monogram of the Holy Name. St. Bernadine painted a special wooden tablet with the Monogram of the Name of Jesus surrounded by the rays of the sun. He and his contemporary, St. John Capistran, popularized this devotion and made it so widespread that the monogram of the name of Jesus, even today, stands at the side of the cross as a symbol of Christianity. The Holy name Society is spiritually rooted in the zealous devotions that began in the Dominican Order and flourished through the work of St. Bernadine and his Franciscan Brothers.
St. Helena’s Holy Name Society meets on the First Monday of each month, (except July & August) in conjunction with the Alter Rosary Society
What do we do? We …..
…Coordinate St. Helena’s Blood Drives
…Along with other St. Helena Societies, assist with the summer program for parish breakfast after various masses
…Usher at masses
….Provide joint activities with the Altar Rosary Society
…Provide Memorial activities for deceased members